Tuesday, March 13, 2007

How to see the canonical half (blank) glass

As I glance over my last post and formulate this one in my mind, I see how I could be labeled anti-American, skeptical, pessimistic. So to start with—I’m not. I promise. But a few things hit me from today’s articles, columns, and blogs.

1. My local newspaper detailed next year’s budget cuts in the public school system. Because of a decline in state funding, busing will be radically streamlined, an elementary school orchestra cut, custodial overtimes decreased, insurance co-pays increased, some staff and faculty positions eliminated, and much more. The district had to make tough choices; the board must balance the budget. And our public schools are considered relatively “well-off.” But flashback to November 2006, when a referendum appeared on the state ballot to mandate an increase of public education funds to at minimum match inflation rate. That’s all…essentially keep the funding constant as costs increase due to inflation, so schools don’t dip deeper into the red. Failed to pass. Explain that.

2. Nicholas Kristof’s column today was about a solution—an imperative—for Darfur, so the situation doesn’t become worse than the current genocide, if that’s imaginable. If you read the times, check this out: if only the decision-makers acted on the advice of people like Kristof. But before he wrote the column, he asked readers to submit their own solutions. One wrote the following (paraphrased): for now, we should do nothing, but wait until they crawl begging for our help and then force them to give us all their oil. I can’t tell if this writer meant this as an absolutely sick joke? But if he/she was serious, or if there are people who really feel this way….I don’t even know what to say.

3. My thoughts on a positive news report relate to (2). President Chavez visited Haiti today to discuss a number of things including a $20 million grant from a Venezuelan development fund for healthcare, education, and other development projects as well as the Petrocaribe initiative, which will help Haiti better finance its oil importation, freeing up money for public programs. Fidel Castro participated in conference calls during the meetings, since some of the Venezuelan money will help Cuban doctors currently working in rural Haiti to continue their crucial work. From all I can tell, this is great news for Haiti. That other regional countries are really reaching out to help is huge sign of continued commitment. I hope the aid reaches the ground quickly. Connection to (2), I pray that we (Americans) don’t write off a genuine effort to help a desperately poor country on the basis of resource competition and politics. Look beyond the government-determined image of Chavez and Castro, even just a little, to something we should all have vested interest in: saving lives…lives that hold on so tenuously.

I’m not pessimistic. I believe we care and can act. Show me how to view the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment