Friday, April 27, 2007

Hunger

I should written about this experience earlier in the week (though I suppose I should also be doing schoolwork now). But I want to write because I have very few personal experiences to share—I’m working on it I suppose, but I’m not really living the preferential option yet. As Janie Crawford said in Their Eyes Were Watching God, “You have to go there to know there.” In that sense, very little of what I’ve written has any validity!

But this week, I participated in a 30-hour fast to raise money for World Vision. Apparently, USAID is matching all money raised four times…all for food aid. So no big deal, I’m not valorizing this simple action. However, the experience did make me think. I did consider it a sacrifice to go for 30 hours with no food and minimal drink. I confess I felt a little righteous when I was light-headed or had trouble focusing in class. I felt like I was “nan batay la,” Creole for “in the struggle.” Not true.

Millions of five year olds all over the world perform 30-hour fasts all the time. Right now, at this moment, many are exactly one fast from starvation. In just the time I’ve been writing this, several children have finished their final fast. Hanging on is pure torture. The entire body and mind (and maybe soul) shuts down to bare minimum. In a way, my willful sacrifice makes a mockery of this misery. I know the point was to show a little solidarity, and I do believe the ND participants did that. I’m not criticizing what we did. I’m indicting all of us for not doing more. The world produces enough food for every person to have 2800 calories per day, way more than we each need. So we can do more.

I attended a hunger banquet after the fast. Another provoking experience. A priest who spoke after dinner gave us three things we can do. I’m probably not very good about any of them, so I’m not trying to be hypocritical or anything. But if we could remember these three things…First, live simply. Second, give generously. Third, advocate for justice.

This is not about helping people or understanding others’ suffering. This is about life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment