Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rain pours through my eyes

A few minutes ago, I was writing about Nicaragua when thunder and heavy rain began. I stopped to watch it pelt and blow through the open cabana area of the hostel. Then my eyes became moist, then wet.

Have been closely reading Haiti cholera news, and situation reports from the health cluster emails to which I´m still (uselessly) subscribed. And now following Tomas.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/tropical-storm-tomas-strengthens-6584#6584

Whatever the storm´s technical strength or path, think of heavy downpour when living under a tarp or a tent, one that´s falling apart from 10 months of heat and wind and rain. Text messages on your cellphone (you can receive, but don´t have money for outgoing calls) that warn of a nationwide deadly diarrheal epidemic, urging you to use only safe water sources. But you don´t have access to those in your under-serviced IDP camp or (worse, perhaps) the isolated area near the ruins of your home, where you´ve tried to rebuild life. Plus, being unemployed and pregnant or sick or caring for kids--whatever else is in the cup of your life. The cup that the rainwater floods over.

I´m scheduled to go to Haiti directly from El Salvador, in 6 days. Embassy restrictions on non-essential travelers may change this. But even if I have a choice, should I go??? (Very much not a rhetorical question, if you know me) I have nothing to offer. Not even tarps, or cups.

It´s still raining hard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment