Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Space Between

From the philosophy of DMB: The space between the tears we cry is the laughter that keeps us coming back for more.

I'm in the States for about 36 hours, and it feels like a space between: held in suspension away from where I believe I am. Reality is there. Sheepishly, I admit I don't know much else of the world right now beyond this little island. Only in between things do we have space to think about what's happened.

*New life: in the last 48 hours, three very premature babies. One born last Friday fought gallantly for 4 days, through her mother's abandonment, until we finally transferred her to the U Miami Medishare hospital in PaP. More to follow on her, we only hope. Another born in our hospital entrance when her mother abrupted, caught by a nursing student, died in a doctor's arms less than 24 hours later. And finally a mother nearing birth of an early baby, who we proactively sent to Medishare on way to airport this morning. Protect the fragile. Yesterday, CNP formally opened a stabilization center for severely malnourished in one wing of the hospital. Anticipating a full ward. Nurture the future.

*Resilience: walking to the partially condemned HSC building, Gary remarked it was his first time passing that way since the quake. We were right by his school, which collapsed killing at least a hundred. He was the only one in his class to survive. As I started to show the docs inside the hospital building, motioned he could wait in the yard. Confident reply, "I'm not afraid to enter."

*Comfort: when a weak moment found me crying in the yard outside, Roosevelt called, having seen me on his way home. Came right over. Gave me a good hug and clearer advice in Creole than I could have heard from anyone.

*Victuals: not much can beat Tampico & rum on the roof. Soothes every challenge. Allows for the perfect morsel of irreverence.

*Faith: woke at 5 a.m. this morning with steady rain pattering my tent. And people were still singing outside.

*Fear: no sooner than entering the hotel lobby tonight, see Anderson Cooper reporting with Sean Penn, who has an organization working in the T/P camp in Petionville. Academy Award winning actor frantic and pleading. The rains are coming. And, he said, things are about to get a lot worse.

Please don't forget. People need a space to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment