Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Returning

I have a very distinct memory from January 2009, of sitting at the PaP airport--my last time leaving, before the quake. Sipping a tiny cup of thick coffee in the upstairs cafe. Catching up on journaling. Then, a clear thought and sense, that I'd felt previously, but not with such clarity. "I will come back, and stay, and keep coming back."

My next return was March 1, 2010. Rushed preparation. After a month of running team logistics, I hadn't expected to be on the ground so soon; I lack the skills of an "early responder". But I was sent anyway. I spent my last night answering emails in the Miami airport. Around 5AM, twinges of nervousness became full-on fear: "what the heck am I doing? what can I possibly offer?"

Could have never predicted then how full and challenging and extraordinary the last two months have been.

This time, I'm eager. Anticipating, as I'm returning to similar work. But also comfortable with the wonder of what I can't expect.

I've said I'm working with Partners in Health, as a coordinator for medical volunteers at the General Hospital. So, more soon from HUEH.

**Importantly: all postings here are my own meandering thoughts, and do not represent the positions or opinions of PIH.

No comments:

Post a Comment