Monday, August 9, 2010

mi Casa y mi Familia

Domingo 8 Agosto:
Already gained comfort & rhythm in my new (transient) home. I live with an older couple, who I still mostly call "Don" and "Doña" out of respect, rather than use names. Both are retired schoolteachers. They have four grown children, but only one still in the country. I met her at Mass today, and she promptly exclamed, "Ah, not sister, my daughter!"

Mi casa is in a quaint middle-class neighborhood, guarded by friendly "vigilantes." Passing from the living room to kitchen goes through an outdoor hallway / clothesline space, which is where I wash my clothes on the pila. The front door is also often open to a little patio space before the iron gate, my favorite reading spot in a hammock chair by the cage for our two "pajaros"(birds) and in view of the basketball court across the street. It all gives a feeling of peaceful, natural comfort.

Don and Doña are very friendly, though our relationship remains superficial given my language limitations; they patiently guide me through simple conversations. I couldn´t be more eager to finally start language school tomorrow. Have been making decent attempts, but I still regularly mix in Kreyol words, frequently refer to myself in the masculine, and more often than not, omit the verb in my sentences altogether because it´s not one of the three I know. When I don´t understand a comment directed at me, I automatically give a couple quick nods, "Oh...si!" I remember that faked comprehension as an impossible bane of teaching in Cambodia, so now can finally empathize with my former students. Just smile and pretend. Will figure it out eventually, I hope.

I spend time with Doña mainly as she sits at the kitchen table, watching me eat. (Don is apparently on his own schedule). We seem to converse with steady pace, given that I don´t know how to say anything. Easy repeats. It will rain today. This fruit is grown in El Salvador, but not in Michigan. Yes, I like beans very much. She works on her "bordado" embroidered placemattes as we talk, and pretty much all day, too.

Now it´s 7:30, and my dear parents have gone to bed. I´ll likely folow suit in two hours. A 9-to-5 sleep schedule? Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment