Monday, September 6, 2010

Déjà vu & a new experience

I don´t know if a Spanish equivalent to that expression exists...

Was taking scattered buses on Saturday (20-cents per exploration) and saw a Marcha Blanca in formation, a demonstration for passage of the much-needed & long-awaited Ley de Medicamientos. Healthcare reform. From bits of newspaper articles and class discussions, I´ve learned just a little about the healthcare system here. Even for people with access to the "seguro social" insurance, the prescribed medications are often not available in public health centers and must be purchased privately, for a lot of dinero. A pharmaceutical industry exists here, allied under the name Industria Químico Farmacéutica (Inquifar); yet, the production of generics (or compulsory-liscenced patent drugs) within the country apparently does not translate to improved access for the population. Surprising? Not in such a lucrative industry as Pharma, surely.

Anyway, the current government is pushing a bill to control prices and improve access. As I joined the spirited procession on Saturday--more than 1,000 citizens of all ages, dressed in white--I remembered a similar march precisely a year ago. Labor Day weekend on the Boston Common, my med classmates and I in our new white coats joined a coalition to call for own healthcare reform. I think the Salvadorans beat us by numbers, so here´s to hoping their long struggle ends with some victory. And that our reform, too, is implemented with integrity & justice.

The organizers played the Latin American (originally Chilean) activism anthem, and since we sang the song a couple weeks ago in class (to practice the future tense), I knew the words!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYoHxzaKs4

At the Pueblo de Dios en el Camino base community service the next day, people talked about the march. One woman commented during the homily, "I see it as light that so many people would come together. That enough is reason for hope." And later, we made plans for a group collection to help support cancer treatment for the mother of a community member. I doubt it will be enough... but if only we could all count on such insurance of compassionate neighbors.

Other highlights of the last week include participating in a femininity workshop with 15 Salvadoran women and a couple Maryknollers. A full day of sharing, drawing, and dancing. As I heard testimonies of abuse, in so many forms, I could be nothing but amazed, humbled. The greatest courage from within the small, anonymous ´casa´.

School is going well. Though I know I´m learning, I keep wishing I could absorb more quickly. I´m trying to force the "auto-pilot" / thinking in Spanish stage. Not there yet. So I probably should get off this computer...

Before I close, a small new experience: was enjoying myself listening at the Marcha, on nice grass, when attacked by a small swarm of fire ants (new word: hormigas). I then had my first major allergic reaction, ever. Immediate tight-chest & hives & all. Was fine by the next day. If I hadn´t left school, I would by now understand the IgE´s & mastcell/basophil degranulation pathways that can lead to anaphylaxis. But I don´t. Something to anticipate for the coming year...

No comments:

Post a Comment