Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Breaking

Today I broke two things: my first Haitian relationship and my computer. The latter was trustworthy for 5+ years, recently living with battery ducttaped in place. The former something I never took seriously.

Also am struggling with a few heavier things: the operations which can simultaneously seem to be going well, but then jolt from crisis to resource crisis. And also my place in the operation. What can be done hung in balance with what should be done... competing against what is starting to occur on its own anyway.

Here's the beginning of a good story, which I hope to continue telling: on March 12, I watched our great peds anesthesiologist rescucitate a 32 week old baby in respiratory distress. Mother abandoned her the next day. She teetered through that weekend, but made it. We transferred her to the University of Miami Medishare hospital in PaP for intubation / NICU care [see Steve Seidel's notes if you're reading this on facebook]. We learned later that she had heart surgery, was extubated, and is doing well. Today, Abbey called about getting her transported back to us for further action. I talked to Save the Children about gov't processes for child abandonment, to set her up for adoption, which Abbey is researching. Can't wait to see her again...

So in broken shells, there are pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment